Broken clouds, light snow
Broken clouds, light snow
17.6 °F
December 13, 2017
River Reporter Facebook pageTRR TwitterRSS Search
community living

Did You Know?

By Grace Johansen

Here is a picture, viewed from the New York side, of the old covered bridge at Narrowsburg, NY. Built in 1848 the bridge measured 250 feet long. The road leading from the bridge on the Pennsylvania side made a sharp turn to the right and then forked with River Road continuing to the right, and the fork on the left going past the Murray home seen here in upper center. The Murray house later became the Methodist Home for assisted living. The buildings on the left of the bridge were removed, as the approaches to New York had to be changed with construction of the first metal bridge, built in 1899, and then the current bridge in 1953.

The Tusten Historical Society’s hours at the Western Sullivan Public Library, Tusten-Cochecton branch in Narrowsburg, are Mondays from 1 to 3 p.m., Fridays from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.